Friday, July 29, 2011

Jonah on the welcome mat at El Museo

It was the first time for many of us at El Museo Del Barrio. Personally, I fell in love with the institution the moment I read the large quotation above the entrance. The "welcome mat" reads " a museum is a school: the artist learns to communicate. The public learns to make connections." This statement made me feel engaged since it aligned with my personal opinion regarding museums. I was impressed with the amount of educational programs the small institution supports. I guess El Museo really is more like a school than a museum.

By Jonah Bleckner

While we're on the subject of love for El Museo...check out this fun video on the (S) Files Bienal currently on view.
El Museo's Bienal: The (S) Files 2011 from EL MUSEO DEL BARRIO on Vimeo.